LANSING USD 469 BUS RULES
Kansas Department of Education provides transportation for students who reside 2.5 miles from their attendance center. Other students who do not meet this criteria, but reside over one mile from their school or who are required to cross Highway 7 are transported at the expense of the school district’s general fund. Lansing school district’s primary concern is for the safety of students attending our schools. The criteria for transportation service is based on place of residence, and not on daycare locations or bus stop location.
Guidelines for successful transportation experiences:
- Early Childhood and PreK parents are required to approach the bus and meet at the curb or the driveway of the bus stop. This will ensure the bus can provide transportation to and from the safest, street location closest to student’s doorstep.
- Students who are in Kindergarten through Second grade MUST be accompanied by someone to meet the bus on afternoon drop-offs.
- Students are expected to be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early.
- Students who miss their bus should never run after it. Parents are not allowed to drive to the next stop to catch the bus. Mornings are dark most of the time and it is dangerous to come up behind the bus and drop off your student. If the bus is missed, please find other transportation.
- No parent or unauthorized person may approach the entry door of the bus at any time. Authorities will be contacted if any unauthorized person attempts to enter a bus. If you need to contact your student once they are on the bus please call the transportation office or the school. Thank you for helping us ensure the safety of our students.
- The driver is in charge of the students and the bus. Students must follow the driver’s instructions at all times.
- The driver will assign a seat to each student. Students in less desirable seats may move to a second assigned seat for added comfort after the passenger load is lightened the driver’s permission, and while the bus is stopped.
- The driver will not wait for students who are not on time. School buses do not wait for those who are tardy.
- Students must never stand in the roadway while waiting for the bus. All pupils must wait for the bus off the traveled portion of the road. Students should wait in an orderly manner.
- Unnecessary conversation with the driver is prohibited. Do not talk loudly or distract the driver’s attention. All of the student’s safety is the responsibility of the driver.
- Students must not throw waste paper or other rubbish on the floor of the bus. Help keep your school buses clean and sanitary at all time. Food is not allowed on school buses.
- Students must not try to get on or off the bus or move about within the bus while it is in motion.
- Students must not at any time extend arms or head out of bus windows.
- When leaving the bus, students must observe directions of the driver. If you cross the road, do so in front of the bus after making sure the roadway is clear, and the driver has given the all clear signal.
- Any damage to the bus must be reported at once to the bus driver.
- Profane language is strictly prohibited.
- No alcohol, tobacco or firearms on school buses.
- Fighting or scuffling is prohibited on or around the bus to include the bus stop areas. Students must keep their hands to themselves.
Thank you for your cooperation and we look forward to a great school year!