Human Capital (Recruitment and Retention)
The facilitator in the Human Capital room was Director of Special Education Ascendra Donald. Ms. Donald gathered feedback from the volunteers on how we can improve recruitment and retention in Lansing USD469.
Documents from Human Capital room:
Once each group had given their feedback on the comparable strategic plans, Ms. Donald met with the original group to gather their main areas of focus:
Need: Overall competitive compensation package (incentive).
Link to results from all groups on important recruitment/retention needs.
CCR needs to be more targeted and expanded for individualized options. Improve alignment with 3rd grade curriculum and state assessment.
Tongie check boxes where there were
Piper's goal of conneced culture- inclusion and non-discrimination
Geary county the financials- drop down hyperlink
Don’t include too much information
Seek funding resources (grants, etc) to assist with old building and votech programs etc- growth/development.
Consistent communication to include current, new, and alumni through various technology means.
Additional notes from the room:
• Plan ahead for those retiring.
• Look at why employees are leaving
• How to stretch the dollar- longevity bonus, cheaper health care, match for outside of KPERS
• Offer continuing education for staff and more opportunities for promotion.
• Classified gets 12 personal days and no vacation days. No vacation offered, other districts do.
• To keep paras, pay a little more when compared to other district.
• Look at how can we compete in KC market.
• Look at how we can be sure staff has resources they need to succeed.
• Offer an overall competitive compensation package as an incentive
• Use CCR class time to get ready for ACT/SAT, writing applications; actual college prep.
• Use a variety of teachers for CCR classes.
• Offer more tutoring options and incentivize studying practices.
• More presentations for career readiness
• What are we doing to prepare students to take state testing. Are we prepping students in grades K-2?
• CCR needs to be more targeted and expanded for individualized options.
Improve alignment with 3rd grade curriculum and state assessment.
• Tongie check boxes where there were.
• Piper's goal of connected culture- inclusion and non-discrimination
• Geary county- the financials with drop down hyper link
• Not too much information
• Death by Powerpoint
• What to do with the building not being used.
• Looking into future- are there federal funds available regarding energy, sustainable building
practices? Tying in Vo-Tech would be one of the first to do something like that. Look at jobs in the
• Help narrow the COVID gap.
• Seeking funding resources (grants, etc) to assist with old building and Vo-Tech programs for
• Need consistency across the district.
• Tax payers want to know where their money is still going- send an alumni newsletter.
• Text and email.
• Send out messages via the app.
• Offer mentorship between the schools to building community within our district.
• Consistent communication to include current, new, and alumni through various technology
Looking at getting a diverse group of people together. What's the incentive to get more students
involved? Can they get credit for community service hours?
When getting teachers to fill out survey, how can we get the answers of the teachers who do identify
Get parents involved. It's always been a joint effort.
Put free food out there.
Conduct exit interviews.