About the Foundation
|About the Foundation|
The Lansing Educational Foundation enhances the excellence in the learning environment in partnership with the schools and the community.
In the Lansing schools, quality education for our students is provided by a staff that understands and respects the unique developmental, educational, and social needs of our students. Access to a superior education is essential for developing academic, occupational and personal success as a productive citizen.
To ensure that this vision becomes a reality, the Lansing Educational Foundation Fund, a component fund of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation (GKCCF):
- Encourages excellence through supporting district teachers and staff by recognizing exceptional contributions and funding innovative learning opportunities;
- Enhances the K - 12 learning environment through providing additional materials and resources.
- Provides funding for programs to meet unique needs;
- Promotes a high functioning learning environment;
- Fosters collaboration and partnerships among the schools and community.
- We believe the purpose of public education is to provide opportunities for all students to develop the attributes needed to be critical, creative thinkers, life-long learners, and responsible citizens in a global community.
- We believe that developing the intellectual, social and emotional dimensions of students through the arts is as critical as career and academic development.
- We believe that the curriculum should be supported by technology.
- We believe that teaching is both an art and a science that requires knowledge, skill enthusiasm, and a research based approach that will instill in all students a strong desire for continuous learning.
- We believe that facilities should enhance learning.
- We believe that teachers, staff, and administrators must be supported in their commitment to district, building, and classroom improvements through staff development.
- We believe in caring, collaborative environments with students, parents, staff and community partners.
The Lansing Educational Foundation was founded in 2004 with 11 Charter Members. These members expressed a desire for the Lansing Board of Education to establish a foundation for the School District. For the pursuit of excellence in education, the Foundation is now governed by a 21 member Board of Directors with the support of a part time director and the district superintendent. With the focus on educational excellence, both in academics and fine arts, the Foundation offers additional opportunities for Lansing students through grants to district staff and special projects.
The monthly Board of Directors Meeting falls on the 4th Monday of the month at 5:30PM.