July 18, 2020 - Lansing USD 469 School Reopening Update from Superintendent Dan Wessel
I hope this finds each of you safe and healthy. These are anxious times we are living in, and it is important to be cognizant of the impact they have on our physical and emotional well-being. Please take care of yourself and your family.
We received guidance on July 9th from the Kansas State Board of Education and immediately following, our district teams began working hard on plans for the upcoming school year. Please follow this link for information about school reopening: https://www.smore.com/rjvz9.
Key highlights from that newsletter:
- Options for attending school and where our school stands with start dates (based on the Governor’s Executive Order that moves the school start date after Labor Day).
- Timeline for decision making:
- Week of July 20-24 – State School Board Special Meeting to Approve Governor’s Executive Order
- July 22 - Draft Plans from Building Teams submitted to district
- July 24 – Draft Plans sent to staff and site councils
- July 29 – Draft Plans sent to BOE
- August 3 – BOE to discuss plans at meeting and consider for approval
- August 10 – BOE meets for final approval, if not approved in August 3rd session
We would like to solicit feedback on your current feelings about opening school. This feedback will guide our planning process. We will have options for remote learning and need to shift the appropriate staff resources to provide this type of learning in the most efficient and effective way possible.