SUBSTITUTE TEACHER INFORMATION
Thank you for your interest in serving as a substitute teacher in the Lansing School District. Substitute teaching for the classroom teacher is an important role in the Lansing School District. Administration and staff believe that all adults in our schools have a great impact on the learning environment for Lansing students.
In order to be placed on the active substitute list, the District must recieve:
- A submitted Substitute Teaching Online Application, and
- A teaching, standard substitute, or an emergency substitute license.
Applying for a Standard Substitute License – you will need to apply on the Kansas Department of Education website. Youmust hold a degree and have completed a teacher preparation program in order to qualify. All applicants applying for an initial Kansas Standard Substitute License must complete the online Regular Substitute Application – Form 5 and Order a Fingerprint Card and Instructions for the purpose of a KBI and FBI background clearance report. Fingerprinting will be required for all expired licenses.
Applying for an Emergency Substitute License – for individuals who have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or a university must print the online Initial Emergency Substitute Application – Form 8a. The Renewal Emergency Substitute Application - Form 8 is an online process only. All applicants for an initial Kansas Emergency License must Order a Fingerprint Card and Instructions for the purpose of a KBI and FBI background clearance report. One fingerprint card is also required for applicants whose Kansas license has been expired for 6 months or more. If you have never held an emergency license, you must print and complete the online application and have your college transcripts sent to you. You then mail the application, sealed-unopened transcripts and a $42.00 check made out to the Kansas State Department of Education. In addition you must go to a police station to have the fingerprint cards done. Once complete, send the fingerprint cards along with a check for $50.00 to the Kansas State Department of Education. Both applications and the fingerprint card can be accessed on the Kansas Department of Education website.
Payroll forms that must be completed at the District Office, 200 E. Mary St, Lansing, KS:
- Signed W-4
- Signed and Notarized Oath
- I-9 (please bring a driver's license and social security card)
- (TB Test) – If you have had a TB test within the past year that is acceptable
- Signed Direct Payroll Deposit Form. You may elect to decline if you prefer a check
- Child Abuse & Neglect Central Registry Release of Information
- Manual Record Check Request. Please note that each search permits the addition of one alias or maiden name.
- Technology Acceptable Use Policy
Please contact Jan Zoellner at
or by calling 913-727-1100 should you need further assistance.