INCLEMENT WEATHER PROCEDURES
November 22, 2016
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Winter is approaching so I wanted to share information about the process for closing schools. Here are some general philosophies regarding school closure decisions:
- I will use weather forecasts, radar, personal reconnaissance, and the opinions of colleagues in the decision-making process
- Safety is our top priority so, when in doubt, I will err on the side of caution
- I will make the decision as soon as possible to give families a better chance to plan. I will not comment about the likelihood of cancelling school in advance of that decision.
- After the decision to cancel school is made, I will sometimes send a follow-up email explaining the factors involved. I will not typically send notices that school will be open as scheduled.
Methods of Notification
- Lion Alerts Texts: I will text the announcement. You can sign up to receive texts via Lion Alerts here: http://www.usd469.net/index.php/84-quick-links/129-alerts
- Email: I will also send an email to all parents and employees
- Twitter: I will also make the announcement via Twitter @dstufflebeam
- Media: We are part of a media notification cooperative, which will air our closing announcements on KMBC TV 9, KCTV 5, WDAF TV 4, KSHB TV 41, KMBZ AM 980, KFKF FM 94.1, KCUR FM 89.3
Cold Weather Cancellations
- Extreme cold weather can prevent our diesel buses from operating properly and/or endanger students.
- We have not yet decided upon a specific air or wind chill temperature that would trigger a school cancellation but may do so. Regardless, we will often have school during cold weather so please make sure students are dressed appropriately.
- For your convenience, I will not delay the start of school.
- I will avoid dismissing school early whenever possible but circumstances may require it so please plan for that contingency.
- The decision to cancel school must be made by 6:00 a.m. It is possible that conditions will worsen between then and the start of school. If so, I cannot reverse the decision without endangering students because buses and many parents will have already departed. Therefore, if conditions worsen after 6:00 a.m., you will need to use your best judgement as to whether or not to send students to school.
- Parents always have the option to excuse an absence due to inclement weather or local road conditions.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding school closures or if I can be any other service. Thank you.
Darrel Stufflebeam, Superintendent of Schools